Bridging Visas

The complexity of the Australian immigration process means that sometimes visas might expire before a new one has been issued. However, situations may arise where someone’s visa has expired, but they need to stay in the country. That is why the Immigration Department is able to issue certain people with “bridging visas” under limited circumstances.

A bridging visa allows a person to remain in Australia lawfully until they are issued with a new substantive visa or while they make arrangements to leave the country. You cannot apply for a bridging visa if you are overseas. A person cannot stay in the country on a bridging visa indefinitely. This visa is only a temporary short-term visa granted by the immigration department while the holder has their outstanding immigration matter resolved. It should never be considered a solution to an Australian immigration issue. There will be certain conditions attached to a bridging visa that the person must follow.

Following are the various Bridging Visas available:

  • Bridging Visa A (BVA)
  • Bridging Visa B (BVB)
  • Bridging Visa C (BVC)
  • Bridging Visa D (BVD)
  • Bridging Visa E (BVE)